What To Do When Stopped While Under The Influence Of Prescription Drugs

Posted on: 20 May 2015

There are many people who take prescription drugs to treat medical issues. In some cases, this can impair the ability to drive. If you are on the road and you are pulled over by the police, here are all the things that you need to do.

Remain Calm

It may sound like staying calm is an impossible feat, but it is absolutely necessary when you are dealing with law enforcement. If you get out of your car behaving wildly, it will only make things worse for you. Calmly explain to the officer that you are on prescription medication and provide some proof if you have it with you. The best case scenario would would be the officer giving you a warning and allowing you to go.

Refuse A Field Sobriety Test

In most cases, you have the right to refuse a field sobriety test if you are asked to submit to one. The reason that you need to avoid taking the test is because there is a strong likelihood you will fail, and you do not want this to be held against you later. You may also be asked to submit to a breathalyzer, which is something entirely different. If you have not had anything to drink, you should do this with no hesitation.

Find Another Way To Your Destination

If the officer who stopped you is willing to let you go with a slap on the wrist, keep in mind that you will be responsible for finding another way to get to where you are headed. It would be a huge mistake to get back behind the wheel when you know that you are clearly impaired. Whether you have to take public transit, call a taxi or wait for a ride from a friend, all of these options are better than putting your life and that of others in danger.

Get A Lawyer

In the event that you are not released and you are arrested, you have the right to remain silent, and you should exercise that. Do not say anything until you have gotten in touch with a lawyer. You should avoid a public defender since they don't always have solid DUI experience. Try finding a specialty lawyer that can help you prove that this was a one-time mistake that you have no intention of repeating.

For more information, contact Kassel & Kassel A Group of Independent Law Offices or a similar firm.